About this service
You can use this service to get information about land and property in England or Wales that is held by HM Land Registry, even if you don't own it.
To access information in this service, you can search with:
- a postcode
- an address
- a map
- a property's unique title number
- an INSPIRE ID
The Summary includes:
If you buy a copy of the title register, you can find out more details about the land or property. This includes:
If you buy a copy of the title plan, this will show:
The information may change if there is an application that leads to changes in the register. This service cannot tell you if we're processing such an application.
How long you can access the information for
After you buy a copy of a title register or title plan we'll store them in the service for 36 hours. You must view or download the information within this time.
After 36 hours, we'll remove them from the service and you'll need to buy another copy if you need it.
Where you can find more information
Proof of property ownership or rights
You should order an official copy of the register or title plan if you need proof of property ownership or rights. For example, to use in court. Information from this service may not be enough on its own.
Property not in England or Wales
You'll need to search different registers if property is in:
- Scotland (link opens in new tab)
- Northern Ireland (link opens in new tab)
Creating an account
You'll need an account to access some of the information in this service. You do not need an account to view a summary of register information.
To create an account, you need to provide your:
- email address
- postal address
- organisation name (optional)
- telephone number (optional)
You cannot change your account details. If your details change, you'll need to create a new account.
Keeping your account secure
You're responsible for:
- keeping your account details secure (your email address and password)
- all activity that occurs on or through your account
If you think your account's security has been breached, contact us as soon as possible. Find out how to contact us.
We're not responsible for any losses if someone else uses your email address and password to access your account.
Using this service
By using this service you agree not to:
- attempt to damage, impair or interrupt the service or access to it.
- use any automated software agents to search, copy, monitor, display, obtain links to or otherwise access this or any of our other systems.
- use the information provided for display on another website.
- use our title numbers, or permit them to be used, in the creation of any information registers, or in databases that specifically identify individual property addresses or collect additional information relating to ownership or interests in property.
- attempt to add to, change or delete any information provided and held by us.
- use the information provided by the service to claim any arrangement or official partnership with us to supply or reuse our information.
- use the information for any fraudulent or unlawful activity including breaches of data protection law.
- allow anyone else to access your account using your email address and password, where you have registered for the service.
If you're not using the service in the agreed way, we can stop you from using it at any time without notice.
Making a payment
If the information you need from this service requires a payment, you agree to be bound by and pay for any purchases you make.
Once you pay for information in this service, you lose the right of cancellation you would normally have under the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. This is because we provide the information immediately.
This means that by applying to buy a copy of a title register or title plan for an individual registered property, you:
- agree to pay the fee for the service by making an online transaction (through GOV.UK Pay or a replacement online payment provider)
- agree that the title register or title plan will be provided to you as soon as you have paid
- accept you lose your right to cancel once the title register or title plan is made available for download
When we accept your request to buy information using this service we enter into an agreement with you to provide the information at the time and date of your transaction. You can end this agreement at any time before you make payment.
The online payment provider will confirm your purchase and provide a transaction reference.
Your agreement with us to purchase the information ends when the information is made available for you to download.
We're not responsible for the security or privacy of information you provide when making a transaction through the service's online payment provider. If you have an issue with this, you should:
- Contact the online payment provider directly.
- Tell us about the outcome.
Your agreement with us
When you search for information using this service, we enter into an agreement with you.
We agree to provide you with the facility to search for information and, if required, apply for a copy of the title register or title plan for the land or property, selected by you, at the time and date of your transaction.
The agreement is between you and us and no-one else can enforce any of its terms.
When and how you can access the service
You can access the service from any suitable internet-connected device and browser.
The service is available every day but we may take it down for updates and maintenance. If you're using the service when this happens, you'll receive an on-screen notification.
We may also use other media, such as Twitter, to provide service updates.
Service delays and interruptions
We're not liable to you or any third party for any losses caused by delays or interruptions to this service. This includes delays in getting your search results and completing your orders and payments, for example due to:
- interruptions to the internet
- services provided by third parties (anyone who is not us)
- temporary shutdown of the service for updates, maintenance, or any other purpose notified on our website
Copyright and database rights
The information in this service is subject to Crown copyright and database rights.
Use of address data in this service (including the link between the address and its location and, where applicable, any underlying co-ordinates) is also subject to Ordnance Survey licence terms and conditions (link opens in new tab). This means that you may need specific consent to reuse this information.
We also use Ordnance Survey data for the location map and to prepare title plans. You are not permitted to copy, sub-license, distribute, or sell the location map or a title plan without the prior consent of Ordnance Survey.
Information we hold about you
If you do not create an account, we'll only hold your IP address.
If you do create an account, we'll also hold your:
- email address
- postal address
- organisation name (if you provide it)
- telephone number (if you provide it)
How we use your personal information
We comply with Data Protection Law. We use the personal information you provide in accordance with our personal information charter (link opens in new tab) to:
- record if you save or download any information
- create and manage your account
- monitor all activity on or through your account
- record any purchase you make
- meet our agreement obligations by supplying the information you request once the online payment provider confirms it has processed your payment (title register, title plan or both)
- contact you
- prevent and detect crime
We may share information with:
- other government departments
- law enforcement and regulatory bodies including specified anti-fraud organisations
Sharing information helps to prevent and detect crime, for example, property fraud.
- keep your personal information secure
- make sure nobody has access to it who should not
- only keep the information for as long as it's needed
- not make it available for commercial use, such as marketing, without your permission
- only share your personal information with other organisations when the law allows us to
We will not delete personal data where it is required to establish, defend, or exercise legal claims, for example in relation to property fraud.
Closing your account
You can close your account at any time.
If you do not use your account for 12 months we'll close it.
We'll then remove your data from our system 18 months after we close your account.
If your account has been closed, you'll need to create a new one to continue to use parts of the service that require a payment. Closed accounts cannot be opened again.
How to contact us
Use our online contact form to send us a message (link opens in new tab).
Let us know what you think about the service (link opens in new tab).
As feedback is anonymous, you will not receive a response from us on anything you report using the feedback form.
Telephone: 0300 006 0411
Welsh language: 0300 006 0422
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)
Find out about call charges (link opens in new tab)
How to make a complaint
If you're unhappy with the service contact us.
If you're unhappy with the answer you receive, follow our internal complaints procedure (link opens in new tab).
If you're still unhappy with the answer, contact the Independent Complaints Reviewer's Office (ICR) (link opens in new tab). The ICR can investigate your complaint independently from us.