About this service
Use this service to get a summary of who owns or leases a property, including:
- what was paid for the property (provided it was bought after April 2000, cost more than £100 and HM Land Registry recorded this information)
- if there's a mortgage on it
- its unique property title number
- the property's rough extent and location on a map
The summary tells you when the title was last changed and can change if HM Land Registry receives an application. This service cannot tell you if a change is being processed.
When the summary you purchase, and the VAT receipt are displayed, you can view them, choose to print copies or download them. Once you leave the summary page it is not possible to return to it.
Use HM Land Registry's Find a Property service instead if you need more detailed information, such as the official title plan, full legal register entry or details of any access rights and restrictions.
Registering to use the service
If you're already registered with HM Land Registry's Find a Property service, you can use your username and password to access this service.
If not, you'll need to provide an email address and a password. HM Land Registry will notify you when your account has been created.
Important: you are solely responsible for:
- keeping your username and password secure
- all activity that occurs on or through your account
If you think your account's security has been breached, call HM Land Registry immediately on 0300 006 0411. To speak to a Welsh speaker call 0300 006 0422.
HM Land Registry is not responsible for any losses arising from unauthorised use of your account.
Terms and conditions of use
By registering an account, you agree that you will not:
- attempt to damage, impair or interrupt the service or access to it
- use any automated software agents to search, copy, monitor, display, obtain links to or otherwise access this or any other HM Land Registry system
- copy or display the information provided for display on another website
- attempt to add to, change or delete any information provided and held by HM Land Registry
- allow anyone else to access your account using your UserID
- use the information provided by the service to claim any arrangement or official partnership with HM Land Registry to supply or reuse data and/or information
- use the data for any fraudulent or unlawful activity including breaches of data protection law
Using the service
You can access the service from any suitable internet-connected device and browser. When the summary you purchase, and the VAT receipt are displayed, you can view them, choose to print copies or download them. Once you leave the summary page it is not possible to return to it.
The service is available every day but may be taken down for updates and maintenance. If you are logged in when this happens, you'll receive notification on-screen.
If HM Land Registry has to contact you, it'll write to you at the email address you provided when you registered.
Using the service – your agreement with HM Land Registry
By using the Find Property Information service you have the ability to:
- search for a property by postcode
- select a property from a list of property addresses that match your search
- view, print or download title summary information for a property for the fee stated
By using the service you agree to be bound by and pay for any purchase you make.
Because the information is provided immediately, once you pay for it you lose the right of cancellation you would normally have under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
This means that by making a request to view, print or download title summary information, you:
- agree to pay the fee for the service by making an online transaction (through RBS Worldpay or a replacement online payment provider)
- agree the summary will be provided as soon as you have paid
- accept you lose your right to cancel once the summary is displayed
When it accepts your request, HM Land Registry enters into an agreement with you to provide title summary information at the time and date of your transaction. You can end this agreement at any time before you make payment. The agreement is between you and HM Land Registry and no-one else can enforce any of its terms.
The online payment provider will confirm your purchase and provide a transaction reference.
Your agreement with HM Land Registry ends when the title summary information is delivered.
HM Land Registry is not liable to you or any third party for any losses arising from delays to the provision of services or the completion of your order, for example through:
- interruptions to transmission of data over the internet
- services provided by third parties
- inaccuracies in the content of linked websites
Information HM Land Registry holds about you
HM Land Registry's Find Property Information service will hold the following information about you:
- your email address
- your password
- your postal address
- your telephone number (if you provide one)
How HM Land Registry uses your personal information
HM Land Registry uses personal information you provide in accordance with its Personal Information Charter to:
- Create and manage your account.
- Meet its legal obligations by supplying title summary information to you once the online payment provider confirms processing your payment is complete.
- Record the purchase.
- Contact you using the email address you provide.
- To prevent and detect crime.
HM Land Registry will:
- keep your personal information secure
- not make it available for commercial use, such as marketing, without your permission
- share your order information with other HM Land Registry teams to process your application
HM Land Registry complies with the requirements of Data Protection Law. It may retain and share information with:
- other government departments,
- law enforcement and regulatory bodies including specified anti-fraud organisations under section 68 Serious Crime Act 2007.
This helps to prevent and detect crime such as registration or property fraud and to investigate land banking schemes.
It's not possible to make changes to your account details once you create an account. To change your name or address details, correct any inaccurate or incomplete account information or if you want to use a different email address you'll need to register a new account.
Your account will remain live to enable you to use the service at any time. You can ask for your account to be closed and we will de-activate your account, call HM Land Registry on 0300 006 0411. To speak to a Welsh speaker, call 0300 006 0422. We will not delete personal data where it is required to establish, defend, or exercise legal claims, for example in relation to property or registration fraud. Personal information will be retained for a minimum period of five years.
How to make a complaint
If you're unhappy with the title summary information or any other aspect of the service, contact HM Land Registry by completing its online contact form or calling 0300 006 0411. To speak to a Welsh speaker, call 0300 003 0422.
If you're unhappy with the answer you receive, follow HM Land Registry's internal complaints procedure.
If you're still unhappy with the answer, contact the independent Complaints Reviewer's Office (ICR). The ICR can investigate your complaint independently from HM Land Registry.
Important: HM Land Registry is not directly responsible for the security or privacy of information you provide when making a transaction through the service's online payment provider. If you have an issue with this, you should:
- contact the online payment provider directly
- tell HM Land Registry about the outcome by calling 0300 006 0411